6 Things Convention-Goers Forget, & How They COULD Save

People who go to conventions often end up spending a lot of money on accommodations and food. Although a convention is a great way to learn new things, many are put off by the amount of money it will end up costing simply to go. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to save money for a convention or even a regular holiday.

Keep an Eye on Your Bills

General bills for water and electricity can add up if you do not keep a careful eye on them. Alter your heating thermostat during the summer months to make sure you are not spending extra money on heat you do not need. You should also analyze your water bill and if it seems unusually high, you may have to check your property for any leaks.

Eat at Home More Regularly

Most people end up spending the vast amount of their income eating in restaurants or drinking in bars. Although the places you go may not be particularly expensive, frequent trips can soon add up and you may find that you can save as much as 80 percent by cooking meals yourself. If you do go to a restaurant, make small changes such as skipping the starter and drinking tap water rather than expensive wine.

Find out if You Can Get Discounts

Retailers who sell expensive electrical goods will often let them go for less than the sticker price, if they are trying to sell them in a hurry. Of course, they won’t tell you this and it is your responsibility to ask. If you ask and they decline, no matter – nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Buy Everything with Cash

Whether you are going to stay in a hotel during a convention or you are renting a house, one major step towards saving money is to stop paying for things with credit cards and only use cash. It can be very easy to lose track of what you are spending when you are putting everything on your card – keeping it basic and using cash will help you manage your money and take more control of your finances.

Reassess Your Clothes

Most people take one look at their wardrobe and think that they have nothing to wear. The truth is that people continually wear the same 20 percent of their wardrobe, while the other 80 percent goes begging. Before you go shopping for new outfits, take a look at your existing clothes and see if you have any items that you can make more use of to save you money.

Watch What You Eat at Work

The temptation at work is always to go to the nearest deli or restaurant and have something quick and easy made for you. However, this can be a large drain on your funds. Making your own lunch before you leave in the morning will save you cash, and will also help you control what you are eating.
There are plenty of ways to save money for trips, but these are a good place to start. With your new found funds, which convention will you choose to go to next?
Annie is the budget travel geek blogging for Dobovo, the free tool to choose budget-friendly Odessa apartments.
Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.