Our eyes, being one of the most important parts of our body, allow us to see the world around us and appreciate it better. The problem is that many of us fail to properly maintain its health. Most the time, the damages that our eyes acquire through years of improper care are irreversible. We might have so many advancements in eye care technology today but nothing still beats the natural way of taking care of your eyes and vision. This all the more makes it important to do the best that we can to maintain its health.
Today, we are faced with so many eye problems that place our ability to see in danger. And because prevention is better than cure, we should opt to start taking care of it now than go through treatments once a problem arises.
- Get an eye exam at least once every two years. If you are or over the age of 40 years or currently have eye problems, do so yearly.
- Wear sunglasses when you go out of your home to protect it from the harsh rays of the sun. A hat with a wide brim will also greatly help. Sunglasses will also come handy when you are transitioning from a bright room to a dark one and vice versa.
- Ensure that you get adequate amounts of vitamins A,C, E. These are vitamins helpful for the health of your eyes. While you can take supplements, it would be better to get them from your diet as much as you can.
- Smoking is dangerous to the eyes. Its toxic substances reduce blood flow and damage the veins of the eyes, ultimately compromising your vision.
- Make sure that there is enough light in your workspace. Open blinds and windows and add lighting fixtures as necessary. This reduces eye strain and headache.
- Get enough sleep. Although the number of hours will depend from one person to another, an average of 8 hours should be enough.
- As you are working, give yourself 15 to 20 minute breaks in between to rest and relax your eyes.
- For those who constantly work in front of the computer. Stop for a while every 20 to 30 minutes, look at a distant object, and blink several times. This should help your eyes for better focusing.
- When swimming, especially in swimming pools, wear goggles to protect your eyes from harmful chemicals.
- Watch the TV or computer from a good distance. Facing it too closely can lead to eye damage.
All of these things might seem too common and overused but these are the best and simplest ways to ensure that your eyes remain in tip top shape for a long time. If you have not been doing some of the things listed above, perhaps it is high time that you do them now. Remember that you only have one pair of eyes and damaging them can rob you of the wonderful things that your eyes can allow you to see and do.
About the Author:
Amy C. works in an eye clinic. In between her shifts, she writes posts on how to better take care of the eyes, focusing on diet and exercise. In her spare time, she does blogging for Lasik Houston, a Houston eye center providing consultations and services for Houston Lasik. If you want to learn more tips on how to take care of your vision, stay tuned for her next post.