How To Choose A Solicitor

If you need a Solicitor or legal advice, it might seem like an easy task just to walk into a Solicitor’s office and hire one. However, there are a wide variety of solicitors and the one that you need will depend on which legal service you require.

Personal Injury Solicitors work with individuals who have been injured in the street, at work, in a shop or in the home, and believe that someone else was liable for the incident taking place. This could include tripping over an electrician’s loose cables, food poisoning caused by food eaten in a restaurant, or injuries if an employer does not supply adequate safety equipment in the workplace. These solicitors can claim compensation for loss of earnings, as well as the cost of treatment needed as a result of any injuries.

Divorce Solicitors represent people who are going through divorce proceedings. However, they don’t simply handle the divorce proceedings, but also all of the legal aspects that relate to the divorce. This typically includes deciding custody and visiting rights of any children, settling financial affairs, and anything relating to shared property.

Wills and Probate Solicitors handle everything to do with the will and estate of a deceased person. This solicitor’s role is to protect the loved ones of the deceased, to ensure their security. For example, if the deceased has young children, the solicitor will ensure that they are placed with a suitable guardian. A wills and probate solicitor will also protect the estate of the deceased, handling any conflict that relatives may have regarding property, possessions and assets that have been left.

Employment Solicitors represent clients who believe that they have been discriminated against by their employer. Often this will include harassment or unfair dismissal on grounds of ill health, pregnancy, racial or sex discrimination. They can also represent employees who believe that their rights have been denied in relation to specific benefits including health care schemes, terms in contracts, pensions etc., or even unpaid wages.

Conveyance Solicitors handle claims relating to commercial or private property that isn’t connected to a will. Quite often, they will draw up contracts and settle claims relating to mortgages, including the transfer of deeds to another party when a house is being sold, or if one person is another person out of a property, perhaps due to a breakdown in relationship. They also deal with conflicts between landlords and their tenants including breaches in contracts, and issues relating to tenancy agreements.

Commercial Solicitors work with businesses, generally handling all of the legal documents that are necessary in commerce. They are in charge of overseeing all kinds of contracts including those needed for hiring staff, as well as contractors. Commercial solicitors will also draw up contracts for business takeovers and mergers and are likely to be present when the contracts are signed. If a company falls into administration, a commercial solicitor is likely to take control of assets in order to pay off debts and handle any disputes relating to commercial property.

Whichever situation you’re in you should easily be able to find a solicitor to suit your needs. There are hundreds of sites online to help, as well as a range of high street firms. Remember to search around to make sure you get exactly what you need.

Written by James Sheehan, a passionate blogger with past legal experience