Lovers of romance or old world charm will simply adore the Victorian styled bathrooms that welcome a myriad of designs where you can blend the old world elegance with the newly favored rustic charm. If you want to go the whole hog, switch from paint to wallpapering those walls. One has to admit that there is a very different feels wallpaper gives to a room. Wood too can be incorporated as it has a vintage appeal.
Claw foot tubs are simply perfect for a Victorian bathroom. It makes a focal point as well so you have a hint of the contemporary when surrounding the tub with soft fabric curtains sporting a spa look. Brass finished taps look great and visually, they suit white baths or basins to the T. Wall mounted taps add a hint of modernity and give a neat finish. If you prefer shower curtains in other fabrics go for those that have a floral motif or are in light pastel shades.
Vanity in vintage
Dark shades of walnut with ornamentative designs or those in cherry colored wood are generally preferred for vanity cases. Marble topped counters are best and you needn’t just stick to plain white marble. Emerald and rose shades too look fabulous. A counter top basin can bring in the spa appeal and yet also have a tinge of Victorian with brass finishing. A large oval gold gilded mirror is perfect over the vanity counter. The mirror can have some patterns of roses, cupids or leaves around the edges for more of a vintage flavor.
Let there be light
Chandeliers are the new bathroom lighting rage and are coincidentally complimentary to the Victorian look. You can even add hanging lamps if the place is too cramped or low hung chandeliers if the ceiling is a bit too high. Clear crystal chandeliers are best in such a situation and should be hung in the middle of the ceiling. Don’t forget to place some oriental rugs in keeping with the Victorian charm.
Standalone marble basins are the prime hits for a Victorian styled bathroom. If you have a larger space, place two basins side by side though a rectangular mirror serves better for this look. Lever headed taps too are fine though most prefer cross head and round ones.
A few quick tips
- Shades of pink, light purple, light red, pearly grey and white are best.
- If you have a vanity case that serves as a dressing table, place a stool with a frilly white pillow on it. Mounted vanity cases look more modern.
- Don’t neglect your windows, the curtains should look ornate and have some decorative borders.
- China figurines go well with this look and so do roses in old china vases or candelabras with hanging crystals.
- Soap tubs and toothbrush holders should have a touch of gold or metal work so that they too blend in. Dark green or red towels too look theme specific.
- Silk flower baskets, decorative candle holders, animal statues and the like can all be used as accessories.
Suzan is a blogger and a mother of two. She likes vintage style so much that she not only gave a vintage look to her bathroom but also to bedroom… She bought accessories from victorianplumbing.co.uk to give classic touch to her bathroom.