If you ever get involved in any defamation case then you need to hire an experienced lawyer to plead your case. What can you expect from your lawyer? We will list out the various roles of your lawyer in this article.
In any defamation case, usually false statement is made by your opponent against you that may either diminish your reputation or it may affect your business interest. Nowadays, there may be cases of online defamation.
Therefore in case you are suing someone hire a reputable lawyer, who can make settlement in your favor. In case of positive outcome of your case you need to negotiate with your lawyer about different strategies. Even ask about his payment structure. In case you are defendant in defamation case then you may have to pay him on hourly basis. Following are the role of lawyer.
- The main role of your lawyer would be to study your case thoroughly. Usually defamation cases are very typical in nature and it requires plenty of data to evaluate the extent of damage that has caused to you due to wrong accusation. Even to get genuine witness good amount of money is needed. So your lawyer will evaluate all these before taking up your case as it is the lawyers, who will initially bear the cost. Therefore before taking up your case he will ascertain the chances of favorable outcome of your case.
- Having accepted your case the lawyer will play a very important role to collect various evidences. In order to build the case he needs to get all the facts and any experienced lawyer know what kind of facts will be admissible to court so that it can be proved in your favor.
- Lawyer will also develop a suitable strategy so that he can present your case in the court. He will try to proceed on the route where he will face least amount of resistance. For instance, if there is any federal action required for your case then he will avoid that as it may drag the case for too long. He will choose such a route, where he is able to obtain quick judgment on your case.
- Next step is to discovery where both side will discuss in order to prepare for the trial. During this step lawyer need to interview many different witnesses of both sides. This is the most time consuming process where lawyer in defamation case must have in depth knowledge of various rules in order to prepare a strategy.
- The case may also be settled outside the court by discussing with the attorney of the opposite party. Most people like to settle their defamation case in this way, so as to save their time.
Finally, if the settlement is not reached by mutual discussion then lawyer will present your case to court, present their witnesses before court and argue with the opposite lawyer keeping in view of your interest. Finally, the judge will decide the case along with jury.