Why Mould Removal Should Be Your Top Priority

The sight of mould is very worrying for most homeowners, because they know just how unhealthy it is for them, and the severe damage it could cause to their property. It is important therefore, that all homeowners doing restoration work on their houses, keep an eye out for those telltale black spots on their walls, especially during the rainy season.
Black mould develops in a moist, damp environment, so if areas of your home have become wet, then try to dry them out within 24 to 48 hours, to prevent the mould from growing. You can also reduce your indoor humidity to about 60 percent, which will help to eliminate dampness. The trick is though, if these black spots are found in a home, mould removal must be carried out in the proper manner, to ensure that it is eliminated effectively.

Mould and your health

If black mould is growing on surfaces in your home, which could be carpets, paper, wood, and even food, you can be sure that the spores are also floating around in the air in your home too. Following are some of the ways that mould can affect the health of you and your family.


Anyone suffering from asthma in your household, especially children, should stay right away from growing mould, as simply smelling the mould will trigger an asthma attack.


Existing allergies are triggered by mould, and in many cases, even new allergies develop, through coming into contact with the mould, or inhaling it. Allergic reactions can happen immediately, or they may only show up days later. Mould can trigger reactions such as red, burning, watery eyes, sinus congestion, rashes, headaches, sneezing, and lack of energy. Mould can also cause respiratory problems such as coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and difficulty in breathing.

Possible Infections

Inhaling mould spores is extremely harmful to those with weak immune systems. Inhaled spores settle in the lungs and begin growing, resulting in lung disease and pneumonia.
As mentioned earlier, it is imperative that mould removal be carried out as soon as possible after the growing mould has been detected. The thing is though, many homeowners are of the assumption that, if they simply use disinfectant to wipe the surface where the mould is growing, that their problems are over. This is so far from the truth though, because the miniscule airborne spores simply settle on surfaces in other areas of the home, and start growing again.
The bottom line is that, mould removal should be done by professionals, who know how to do the job properly and effectively. You might think that this is an unnecessary cost, but when you consider that if the mould is not eliminated entirely from your home, and there is a good chance that your house might be permanently damaged through severe mould damage, then it is definitely money well worth spending.
Josh Stabler is a freelance writer who writes about home improvement. He his also a bit of a handyman himself. He recently has been researching for a company that does mold removal in Kitchener.